Frequently Asked Questions
OTF supports research, development, and implementation efforts focused on increasing:
- Access to the internet, including circumvention tools;
- Awareness of access, privacy, or security threats, including research, censorship detection, measurement platforms, and increasing digital security know-how among targeted groups;
- Privacy for at-risk users; and
- Security against threats to internet access and safety.
OTF does not have any requirements regarding an applicant’s status - whether for-profit, nonprofit, or a single individual, located inside or outside the United States, so long as the proposed effort fits within OTF’s mission, goals, and focus areas, it may be considered.
OTF supports both individuals and projects through several different funding mechanisms:
For the Internet Freedom Fund and the Technology at Scale Fund
For the Rapid Response Fund
- OTF accepts and reviews applications for its Rapid Response Fund on an ongoing basis as they’re received. There is no deadline for Rapid Response so that digital emergencies can be confronted as they arise.
For the Internet Freedom Fund
- Minimum of $10,000 and maximum of $900,000 for a year-long contract. Note, however, that OTF’s target support ceiling is $300,000; most supported efforts receive between $50,000 and $200,000.
For the Rapid Response Fund
- Minimum $1 and maximum of $50,000 for a period of no longer than six months.
- Fixed monthly stipend
Immediately after submitting your application, you should receive an email from OTF confirming that we have received your submission. You'll receive a determination notice 6-8 weeks after your application submission date. Applications for the Rapid Response Fund are reviewed as quickly as possible. We make every effort to make a decision within five days.
Immediately after submitting your application, you should receive an email from OTF confirming that we have received your submission. This email will provide you with instructions for activating your account. Please set your password as soon as possible because the link will timeout.
OTF generally does not support standalone costs which are not directly associated with the completion of contractually stated objectives or deliverables. In the very limited instances where OTF determines that an overhead cost is permissible, such costs cannot be greater than 10% of the overall project cost. More information can be found here under the "Overhead" section.
If you know the email address that you used to set up your account (which is used to sign in to OTF's application platform), you can reset your password now:
- 2.Enter the email that is associated with the application you submitted.
- 3.Once you receive this email, you’ll be prompted to choose a new password and enter it twice. Passwords should be at least 8 characters long and should contain a mix of upper and lowercase letters, numbers, and symbols.
Note that you must have your email address to reset your password. If you’ve forgotten this email address, you’ll need to recover it before you reset your password.